A Long Walk to Water
By Linda Sue Park
Middle School Title
- It's hard for us to imagine how Salva feels as he faces the dangers of his journey. What do you think was the most difficult part for him?
- Trace Salva's journey on a map. How many miles do you think Salva walked in all?
- What saved Salva after the death of his friend Marial?
- Research the Lost Boys of Sudan. Unfortunately, history does repeat itself. Is there anything in the history of the world to compare this unfortunate tragedy to?
- How did building the boats to cross the Nile help Salva emotionally?
- Can you imagine spending 8 hours a day doing chores for your family? What do you think about Nya's life?
- How did her life compare to Salva's before his village was attacked by the soldiers? How did it compare after he was forced to flee from his village?
- Why do you think the author has named the book A Long Walk to Water?
- How do you think Salva felt when he first came to the US to live? What would some of the challenges be if you went to live in Africa?
- Have you ever thought about helping others as Salva did? What do you think is an important project you could help with some day?
Copyright Clarion Books