By Gene Luen Yang
- Have you read graphic novels or comic books before? How did American Born Chinese compare? Do you think that the story worked best as a graphic novel?
- One of the main themes of the book was “transformation.” (Danny even plays with Transformers.) How did the characters transform? Do you transform yourself to fit in at your school?
- Did you find the story of Chin-Kee funny? Do you find that you often laugh that situations that may be painful for others? Why is laughter a way to deal with painful subjects?
- Did you find the three storylines confusing? Did this type of storytelling work, in your opinion?
- The number 4 is seen as a cursed number in Chinese culture. Can you think of examples in which the number 4 turned up in the story of the Monkey King?