by Andrew Clements
Grades 3 – 5 Title
- What kind of a person is Abby? What is her life like?
- What kind of a person is Sadeed? What is his life like?
- Compare Abby and Sadeed. How are they different? How are they similar?
- At the beginning of the book, Sadeed thinks the pen pal project will be “a terrible waste of time and paper and stamps” (p. 50). How does his opinion of the project and Abby change throughout the story?
- Abby thinks that she is writing to a girl named Amira, but her letters are actually being answered by Amira’s brother, Sadeed. Why must Sadeed keep this a secret?
- The correspondence causes difficulties for Abby, Amira, and Sadeed. What problems do they encounter? Why do Abby, Amira, and Sadeed have to stop exchanging letters?
- At the beginning of the book, Abby is convinced that the Illinois landscape “is very flat and boring” (96). How does her opinion change throughout the story? Why?
- Have you ever had a pen pal? What was it like to get to know someone by exchanging letters?
Atheneum Copyright © 2011