By Audrey Shafer
- Why do you think the author starts the book with the death of Gabe’s uncle?
- Do you think the author’s description of what Gabe does and feels after he discovers the body missing and the note in the mailbox is accurate? How do you think you’d react under these circumstances?
- How good of a friend was Webber to Gabe? Is there anyone in your life like Webber?
- While living alone, Gabe forgets to do some things like bathe and take out the trash. What do you think you’d be most likely to forget if you lived alone?
- What are some of the things the author wants us to know about Uncle Vernon?
What are some of his strengths and weaknesses and how do they affect his elationship with Gabe?
- One of the saddest parts of this book was when Gabe read Uncle Vernon’s letter to Webber’s mother, Mrs. Pickering. What do you think Uncle Vernon was going to ask of her?
- What do you think of Mr. Boehm? Do you think he’ll make a good parent for Gabe?
- This book was chosen as a Suburban Mosaic Book of the year. What social issues are part of the story?
- Who is your favorite character?
- What was your favorite part of the story?
For more information:
Author Audrey Shafer’s website: http://www.ashafer.com/home.html