By Maribeth Boelts
- Why did Jeremy want “those shoes”?
- Can shoes make you run faster or be more popular?
- What did Grandma mean when she said: “There’s no room for ‘want’ around here – just ‘need.’”
- Grandma said that winter boots are more important than shoes. Do you agree?
- When Jeremy’s shoe came apart, why didn’t his Grandma buy him a new pair?
- How did Jeremy feel when he had to wear little kid shoes? Would you laugh if a classmate came to school wearing funny shoes?
- Have you ever had a parent tell you that you cannot buy what you want because it is too expensive? What did you do?
- Why did Grandma say “no” when Jeremy found “those shoes” in the thrift shop? Was it a good choice to spend his money to buy the shoes after his Grandmother said no?
- Jeremy didn’t want to give the shoes to Antonio. Why?
- Why do you think he changed his mind?
- Would the story end differently if Jeremy’s grandmother bought him those shoes instead of the new boots? Explain your answer.
- Do you think Grandma was right about “need” being more important than “want”?
For more information:
Author Maribeth Boelts’s website: http://www.maribethboelts.com/